I set things up for success. The mat we most often use for training this behavior and in the location we usually train it. Minimal distractions. I gave the cue, cold. Landry wasn't ready.
So, immediately drop the cue and Re-teach, Re-view, Remind....the 3 R's. It literally took seconds for Landry to get In the Game and recognize what we were doing. He showed me "where he is" in the learning process. And that's where we worked.
Now we're clicking. (no pun intended!) But I'm still adding the cue while he is dependably committed to the behavior. Isn't it interesting. By watching closely it is evident when he begins to lose interest and we quit immediately (I'm beginning to be able to read this boy).
Landry is still In the Game. Just tired of that game. So we move on to CRATE.
As soon as I set the crate out, Landry voluntarily goes and gets in it. C/T. The crate itself was the cue. The second time I cued the behavior but I clicked early. This part gets me really excited. If you ever doubted the precision of the clicker, watch what Landry does the moment I click! He is committed to going in the crate but stops his forward motion the instant that he hears the clicker. This is HUGE!
In the course of Landry's CRATE work, in addition to cueing going into the crate, "Get In", Dale and I have chosen to teach him to remain in the crate until released, "Let's Go". IOW, Crate ZEN. Just because the door is open doesn't mean that you are free to leave. First, adding the "Get In" while he is voluntarily getting in and "Let's Go" while he is voluntarily exiting the crate.
Then I close the crate door briefly and "remind" him that his job is to stay there once the door is opened.
Incidentally, we are doing this with the leash, too. We are not "releasing" him when taking off the leash, but instead drop a few kibble on the ground when the leash comes off so he doesn't change demeanor and run. A continuation of Leash ZEN. Self control.
Training "Get In" and "Let's Go". Adding Distance by tossing the treat further away. Adding Duration in tiny increments. Not using Chutes and Ladders at this point.
Landry rides in the truck and the car crated, so duration isn't a problem for him. Remaining in the crate until released while in a vehicle becomes a safety issue.
Landry is often crated at home and at Lily's. He understands both cues. But Dale and I need to remember to continue training this behavior, too, even though we use it all the time. That way, "Get In" doesn't always mean that he will be confined. Either at home OR in the vehicles.
No comments:
Post a Comment