Beginning with a handful of treats (Wellness Core: Ocean) I am going to click for contact for the entire handful. It will be tempting to begin building duration using Chutes and Ladders but I am going to resist all temptation. Keep it simple. Keep my criteria clear. Click for Contact. I want Landry to clearly understand exactly what the clicker is marking - eyeball to eyeball. He chose his position. I did not cue any position. One handful of treats and that's it for this behavior for the day.
Unlike in the classroom, when we train here at home Landry is able to focus and give attention with more than minimal distractions. There is Lily in the crate. The patio door is open and all the outside noises and smells do not distract him.
The other criteria in this exercise is Lily's criteria. She is crated about 8' from us and is watching Landry and me interacting. I want her quiet. I use the "Enough" cue once and that takes care of it.
Two dogs. Two levels. Two behaviors. Two criteria. I think I will need a nap.
Lynn, are you only working WATCH only once today because of Landry's age? Because you're just introducing a new behavior? I frequently go back later in the day and review where we left off with a behavior.
ReplyDeleteWell, it's 2 and Dale will be here to pick him up within the hour. He will probably repeat the exercise again at their house. We did Leash: Step 2 on leash and off this morning. Then GTM. And Watch. Then he and Shayla had a meeting of the minds. Now all dogs are napping. Then they will race and play again before Dale's arrival. That's enough for one day. For him. And for me. Some days we train more, some less. As long as its fun for us both.
ReplyDelete