Well, it didn't take long to realize that I must make everything else easier and re-teach from the beginning. Drop the cue. Re-teach. This made me think of Sadie! "Am I willing to bet $100 yet?"
I will work on it and get it up when I can.
At first I am rewarding him one time for being in position on the mat and then after the second "yes" I toss the treat off the mat, to reposition him to return to it. However, initially I am tossing the hot dog maybe 6' off of the mat, so by the time he finds the hot dog, chews it 100 times like his puppy mother taught him, and then returns and lies down on the mat, a lot of time passes.
When I begin tossing the hot dog just off of the mat, things move along a lot quicker and he receives much more information for the time spent.
We take a break while I "re-load" another handful of hot dog. This time neither dog bothers to get up.
Another short, quick session. Whenever I walk to the kitchen to "re-load" another handful of hot dogs, both dogs know that they are free to do whatever.
OK, Sadie. Now I feel confident to take that $100 bet and I add the cue, while Landry is in the act of volunteering the behavior.
Another short session using the cue while he is offering the behavior and then we end it with a "Good job!"
With Lily to set the example (and since they are playing on the mats anyway) I cue "Go lie down"..... and, following Lily's lead, Landry does too.
There's more than one way to skin a cat! "Come!" trumps "Go Lie Down" but once Landry can hear his brain, he goes and lies down on the mat. Not bad for a morning's work. Nine short sessions. If we repeat and re-teach from the beginning the remainder of the week, he'll be rock solid and ready for BMO. Landry thinks it's a fun game and we don't agonize over it. Keep it short. Keep it sweet. Keep it simple.
PS. Landry now weighs in at 40#.
No comments:
Post a Comment